Sunday 27 March 2011

So Many Books So Little Time: My friend Jill's Awesome Reading List


My friend Jill is not just a pretty face. She also loves to read good books. Last night we went for dinner to a great "asian fusion" restaurant called Cravings at Yonge and Lawrence. We were joined by our friend Lisa (aka LK in a previous post).

We discussed a number of important subjects: kids, family, Ottawa gossip (we are all from Ottawa), the benefits of having a built in desk in your kitchen and of course....BOOKS!

Lisa is reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Jill is reading Room by Emma Donoghue which I just loved. When Jill told me that she had a great list of books I asked to see it.  I was impressed and wanted to share. Jill's sister Marni, is also an avid reader and I think some of the picks on the list below are on her list too.
 Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nehmat (heard great things)
Room by Emma Donoghue (Jill is reading this one now, it sure is a popular one!)
Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay
I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor’s Journey by Izzeldin Abuelaish
My Sister’s  Keeper and Sing You Home by Jodie Picoult
Orange Is The New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison by Piper Kerman
Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel
Stone’s from the River by Ursula Hegi
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
The Lake of Dreams and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Song of Kahunsha by Anosh Irani
The Last Kestrel by Jill McGivering
The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Fall On Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald
The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad and Ingrid Christopherson
Now You See Her by Joy Fielding
Sister by Rosamund Lupton
Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
Fancy Pants, Lady Be Good and Call Me Irresistable by Susan E. Phillips
The Unexpected Son and The Dowry Bride by Shobhan Bantwal
Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Here's a nice pic I found of Jill and her father

No comments:

Post a Comment